Thursday, September 17, 2026

Blog #6: Anti War Voices

 


Wow I am just in shock. How have I never heard of The American Conservative and Antiwar.com?

Before taking Communication Law and Ethics I would have assumed it was just a choice that the algorithm made based on my other searches but now I know it is much deeper than that. 

The government hates anti-war voices.

While these websites are not being shut down it is not a mistake or coincidence that they are not more main stream. Is the lack of exposer or popularity a form/result of censorship? Possibly.

Personally I don't want to give the government that much credit. I think a part of the problem is also the demographic and marketing. I feel like most young people are anti-war. We share our thoughts on social media or with our friends and peers locally. Yet these two websites have writers that are mainly older men. 

While successful in their respective field David Stockman, Karthik Sankaran, and Dieter Stein to name a few are business men, politicians, and researchers catering to their peers. Which means they are not marketing to the next generation of anti-war voices. Resulting in leaving out important and influential people that could aid their cause.

After looking on Instagram I found what I assumer is The American Conservative official account. To be honest I am not 100% sure. They are unvaried with a little over 4,000 followers and the most recent post being from 2024. This is NOT how you advertise and get the word out there about your company or your ideas. Trying to find an account for anti-war was even worse. The most I could find was city specific accounts but not one that was attached to Antiwar.com.

On the other hand it could be that since the writers have other professions than just journalists they know how the government operates. They could be protecting themselves and their respective companies and organizations from things like experiencing a chilling effect. 


Some of these individuals are very successful and have definitely been in the game a long time. They know that the government hates what they are doing. This lack of exposure and marketing could be a form of protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment